ASEAN Economic community blueprint 2025
I. I NTRODUCTION
1. The implementation of the ASEAN Economic Community (AEC) Blueprint 2015 has been substantively achieved in, among others, eliminating tariffs and facilitating trade; advancing the services trade liberalisation agenda; liberalising and facilitating investment; streamlining and harmonising capital market regulatory frameworks and platforms; facilitating skilled labour mobility; promoting the development of regional frameworks in competition policy, consumer protection and intellectual property rights; promoting connectivity; narrowing the development gap; and strengthening ASEAN’s relationship with its external parties.
2. ASEAN recognises that regional economic integration is a dynamic, ongoing process as economies as well as domestic and external environments are constantly evolving. In this context, ASEAN has initiated two studies for the AEC Blueprint 2025. The AEC Blueprint 2025 has been developed taking into account the recommendations of the two studies, namely, by the Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA), and the S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies (RSIS) and the Institute of Southeast Asian Studies (ISEAS), as well as inputs from other stakeholders. The measures taken have to lead in creating a networked, competitive, innovative, and highly integrated and contestable ASEAN.
3. The overall vision articulated in the AEC Blueprint 2015 remains relevant. The AEC Blueprint 2025 will build on the AEC Blueprint 2015 consisting of five interrelated and mutually reinforcing characteristics, namely: (i) A Highly Integrated and Cohesive Economy; (ii) A Competitive, Innovative, and Dynamic ASEAN; (iii) Enhanced Connectivity and Sectoral Cooperation; (iv) A Resilient,Inclusive, People-Oriented, and People-Centred ASEAN; and (v) A Global ASEAN.
4. The immediate priority is to complete the implementation of measures unfinished under the AEC Blueprint 2015 by end-2016. The continuing commitments of Cambodia, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Myanmar and Viet Nam (CLMV)under the AEC Blueprint 2015 up to 2018 are also incorporated under the AEC Blueprint 2025.
5. In the next decade, ASEAN will also provide a new emphasis on the development and promotion of micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) in its economic integration efforts. At the same time, ASEAN will likewise embrace the evolving digital technology as leverage to enhance trade and investments, provide an e-based business platform, promote good governance, and facilitate the use of green technology.
*** Please click here to download for the ASEAN Economic community blueprint 2025